Sinephile: A Movie Blog
THE BLING RING (2013) Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM



THE BLING RING (2013)
Directed by Sofia Coppola
Starring Katie Chang, Israel Broussard, Emma Watson, Claire Julien, Taissa Farmiga

Based on a true story, a group of teenagers obsessed with the idea of fame decide to rob dozens of homes owned by well-known celebrities. 

Honestly, I was really excited to watch this film. When I read the plot, I thought, "Woah! A bunch of teenagers recklessly breaking into famous people's homes and stealing a bunch of expensive shit! How incredibly dangerous and stupid!". Never in my life would I even think of doing such a thing and since it was based on actual events, I was curious to see what really happens when teenagers do dumb things like that. I was also pumped to see Emma Watson act as a completely different person with the whole annoying American accent and everything. So when my friend and I eagerly went to the cinema to watch it on its premiere, I was really hoping for it to be a box-office hit. But sadly, we can't always get what we want.

I don't want to go into too much detail but it was a really boring film. If I watched it alone, I would've probably fallen asleep but fortunately, my friend kept me awake. Although it was cool seeing a different side to Emma Watson, the whole movie was just really bland. The acting was poor, the story-telling felt lazy, and it was just not entertaining at all. I left the cinema feeling upset that I wasted money for the ticket, when I could've just (illegally) downloaded it instead and be disappointed for free. It's sad because Sofia Coppola has directed Oscar-winning films, like Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette. The Bling Ring is nowhere near winning an Oscar, that's for sure.

Rating: 

Labels:


©