Sinephile: A Movie Blog
CELESTE & JESSE FOREVER (2012) Friday, September 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM



CELESTE & JESSE FOREVER (2012)
Directed by Lee Toland Krieger
Starring Rashida Jones, Andy Samberg, Ari Graynor, Eric Olsen, Elijah Wood, Chris Messina, Emma Roberts

Best friends Celeste and Jesse are married for 6 years. One day, Celeste decides to get a divorce but still wants to maintain a friendship between her and Jesse. He agrees. They decide to remain as friends while they date other people. And now comes the part where everything takes a turn for the worst. Or the best.

First of all, let me say how much I love the entire cast, especially the two leading actors. I have loved Andy Samberg ever since I laid eyes on him on SNL and Rashida Jones as well when I first saw her in Unhitched (I'm still pretty bummed that the show was cancelled). I've been seeing Chris Messina everywhere, in both TV and film, and I'm always excited to see him because he's a really good actor. And of course, Elijah Wood. His role in this movie is the "saucy gay friend" and personally, I couldn't ask for anything better.

Despite the dramatic screencaps I posted above, this film is also really funny, which is pretty awesome because it's so hard to find a movie nowadays that is both incredibly sad and hilarious. This movie legitimately made me sad. Like, really sad. Like "oh god my heart really hurts and I want to cry but I can't because I'm in a public place and people will think I'm crazy" kind of sad. I've never seen Andy and Rashida take on dramatic roles and I'm not a professional critic or anything but I think they did really great. I could literally feel all the angst they had in the film, that's how good they were.

It's always nice to see a movie so realistic about the concept of love and marriages. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And that's life. You can either try again or move on. I really liked the fact that they made it realistic, not idealistic. Celeste & Jesse Forever is definitely in my favorite movies list!

Rating: 

Labels:


©